Fibrocystic Breast Disease is a common condition of the female breast and is characterized by nonmalignant lumps and/or pain in
the breast. It normally affects women from puberty to around age 50 and often disappears
Do you have questions about common breast conditions, including fibrocystic breast
changes? Visit our Health Library for answers »
- Multiple lumps may occur in both breasts; occasionally solitary lumps will occur.
- Lumps may or may not be tender and offer resistance when pressed with the fingertips.
- Generalized breast pain, most often just before menstrual periods.
- Lumps often enlarge before menstrual periods and shrink after menstruation.
- Lumps are often different sizes.
- Nipple discharge.