Make your appointment for a bone density study today.
Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center offers bone density testing, which can help your physician
develop a plan for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis.
Bone density tests measure the strength and density of your bones. Test results
are compared with standards for what is expected in someone of your age, gender,
and size, and to the optimal peak bone density of a healthy young adult of the same
What are some reasons for having a bone density test? If you have one or more of the following risk factors for osteoporosis, you may
want to consider having a bone density test:
- Your mother, grandmother, or another close relative had osteoporosis or bone fractures.
- You have low body weight, a slight build, or a light complexion.
- You have
a history of cigarette smoking or heavy drinking.
- You experienced the early
onset of menopause, naturally or surgically (early is defined as before age 45).
- Over a long period of time, you have taken medication that accelerates
bone loss, such as corticosteroids for treating rheumatoid arthritis or other conditions,
or some anti-seizure medications.
- You have already experienced a bone fracture
that may be the result of thinning bones.
- Your ethnic background is Caucasian
This procedure will require you to lie flat for at least 20-30 minutes. Tell
your physician if you are unable to do so. The test involves minimal radiation
(approximately the same as a chest x-ray).
Do not wear any clothing that contains metal ( zippers, snaps, etc.).