Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center staff is committed to protecting your health information, which is a right you
have as detailed in the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability
Act (HIPAA) of 1996.
What is HIPAA?
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
was signed into law on August 21, 1996, Public Law 104-191. This law
impacts all areas of the healthcare industry and was designed to combat
waste, fraud and abuse in health insurance and healthcare delivery.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 [H.R. 3103]
The law is designed to:
- Protect the privacy, confidentiality and security of healthcare information
- Improve portability and continuity of health insurance coverage
- Promote the use of medical savings accounts
- Improve access to long-term care services and coverage
- Simplify health insurance administration by standardizing the exchange of administrative and financial data.