Since 1930, Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center has meet the medical needs of the community.
We're proud to be your community hospital and proud of our history with you.
original City Memorial Hospital of Thomasville, organized by community leaders T.A. Finch, C.H. Phillips, Doak Finch, James
R. Lambeth, and A. H. Ragan, opened its doors in July 1930 with
31 beds. In 1934, the Nurses' Home adjacent to the hospital
Many Healthcare Firsts for the Area
The hospital opened the first Intensive Care Unit in the area in 1966 to give specialized
care to coronary and critically-ill patients. Before
the unit opened, the nearest intensive care units were at Duke, NC Memorial, Baptist and Charlotte Memorial hospitals.
The hospital also pioneered one of the first cardiac rehabilitation programs in
the area when they established Piedmont Cardiac Rehab, located at the Tom A. Finch
In 1967, the Hospital Guild of Thomasville was formed. This volunteer group played
an important role in the development of the medical center: purchasing major equipment,
establishing the Hospitality Shop, co-sponsoring An Evening of Music and the establishment
of an educational scholarship to assist those going into the medical field as part
of the Guild legacy.
Name, Location and Services
On January 1, 1971, the hospital name was officially changed to Community General Hospital
of Thomasville. The facility was moved to a new location August 7,1971 after a $1.5
million community fund drive. A new Emergency Room, Outpatient Surgery Department
and Radiology Department were added in 1983. In 1986, the Outpatient Cancer Treatment
Center opened to bring cancer services close to home for patients and families.
In 1988, the new intensive care, coronary care and pediatric units were opened.
In September 1988, The Learning Place opened, establishing Community General as
one of the first Triad hospitals to establish on-site child care. In November 1997,
Community General merged with Novant Health, joining Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center in Winston
Salem and Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center in Charlotte.
In March 2001, Community General Hospital
of Thomasville officially changed its name to Thomasville
Medical Center and in June, opened the largest addition since moving to its present
site. The $9.3 million expansion included state-of-the-art operating rooms,
an outpatient multi-specialty clinic, and renovation of an existing 31,000-square
foot space. To better meet the healthcare needs of the community, the medical center also
established centers of excellence to focus on specific healthcare issues including
the nationally-accredited Sleep Disorders Center, the nationally-accredited Heart & Vascular Center, the nationally-accredited Neurosciences Center, the Women's Center and the Behavioral Health
Center—all of which combine the latest treatment options with a team of medical
New Emergency Department
In 2008, Thomasville Medical Center opened a new $10 million Emergency Department
and expanded the number of treatment rooms from 10 to 27. Also located in the Emergency
Department is a minor care treatment area for those medical emergencies that are
less critical, our nationally-accredited Neurosciences and Heart & Vascular centers, the county's
only Emergency Room, a new digital radiology system and a $1.5
million, 64-slice CT scanner. When it comes to emergencies, we know that every
Women's Center and Women's Heart Center
In January 2012, the new Women's Center opened featuring a new nursery, birthing suites and postpartum rooms to accommodate today's parents. From birth-to-teen-to-grandmother and beyond, the Women's Center offers services that cover every facet of a woman's life including our Mommy and Me class, Daddy Boot Camp, and online nursery.
Knowing that no two women are alike, we opened our Women's Heart Center in February 2012 to provide a comprehensive heart-risk assessment to pinpoint personal risk factors and set goals to improve women's health. We became a Spirit of Women hospital in May 2012, joining an elite coalition of American hospitals and healthcare providers that ascribe to high standards of excellence in women's health, education and community outreach.
Behavioral Health Unit
Our expansion in May 2012 added an additional 12 beds to our inpatient Behavioral Health unit, enabling us to serve up to 45 inpatients in this specialty unit designed to meet the unique medical needs of those age 55 and older.